Saturday 26 June 2010

How About a Little Music?

Can't say I've been in the cinematic zone the last few weeks, although there has been the odd watchable piece such as the Australian aborigine themed Samson and Delihah (B), Michael Winterbottom's debut film, Butterfly Kiss (B+) and The Informant (B/B-). Unfortunately few recent screenings have inspired, as Todd Solondz' (I am generally a fan) fairly pointless Life During Wartime (C), indie schmindie Gigantic (C-) and the insipid Alice in Wonderland (C) have all disappointed.

Thankfully, various bits of music have been filling one's ears - most of this is typically 'dreamy' sounding. Here are a few highlights:

Blonde Redhead - Here Sometimes

Wild Nothing - Confirmation

Washed Out featuring Caroline Polacek - You and I

Sleep Over - Outer Limits

Delays - Hold Fire

Delays - Unsung


And for something a little more upbeat and funky, I recommend Aeroplane - We Can't Fly (right click and save as).

3 comments:

  1. Excellent listening. Lyrics are indeed hard to come by, but I listened intently instead.
    I'd say this is the order of how I like them:
    Blonde Redhead - Here Sometimes
    Delays - Hold Fire
    Delays - Unsung
    Aeroplane - We Can't Fly (Kinda Jamaican sounding mix)
    Sleep Over - Outer Limits
    Wild Nothing - Confirmation
    Washed Out - You and I

    Music is always welcome, glad you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lyrics don't mean that much to me, when it comes to such types of music - they're secondary to the sound and essence of the music.

    My personal favourites are:

    the Sleep Over track - initially I disliked the production and it felt a little derivative but I was wrong, as subsequent listens proved - very addictive for this dream pop fan.

    Blonde Redhead - very pleased someone introduced me to their last album, 23 - one of the most interesting and alluring vocalists in popular music.

    Washed Out - him and Memory Tapes/Cassette remain the best of these 'chill wave' players, and the guest female vocals make this song.

    Delays - Hold Fire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling, when you need a break from movies. I likewise drift between movies and music. Everything in moderation, I guess ( :

    I'm also a dream pop/shoe gaze fan. I'll be sharing some on my blog, I love a lot of songs by Swedish The radio dept. I love Air, but not sure if they are in this bracket. Pernice brothers, Azure ray and Sigur Ros are pretty good, plus some others I'm forgetting. The "lost in translation" soundtrack is not to be missed ( :

    Nice compilation here. My favourite of your dream songs is "Wild Nothing - Confirmation" + "Delays - Hold Fire"

    Hope you keep posting songs

    ReplyDelete